(Photo Credit OFC Media via Phototek)

Mataks FC have retained their unbeaten record after the round robin stage of the OFC Futsal Men’s Champions League in New Caledonia.

The Solomon Islands champions who will play host nation entry AS PTT in tomorrow’s final, have beaten Tonga’s Veitongo FC 3-1 at the Arene du Sud at Paita, near Noumea.

Mataks FC were dominant from the outset and took the lead in the third minute through Sammy Laui in the 3rd minute. A minute later Jesse Tahunipue should have doubled the lead but missed from near point-blank range.

Player of the match against UNV FC, Semisi Otukolo was again impressive in the Veitongo goal and made a string of telling saves throughout the match.

The Tongan side improved with every match they played at the tournament and produced several clear chances to equalise during the first half with Vai Lutu and Christopher Kefu both going close, Mataks FC saved by goal line clearances.

Against a quality team like Mataks, you must take your chances, and Veitongo were punished in the 16th minute with Benjamin Mana tapping in to double his side’s lead. Kefu had a glorious chance to reduce the deficit a minute before the break, but Benjamin Maeidua made a fine save in the Mataks FC goal.

Veitongo started the second half with some real purpose and captain Pita Uhatahi came close to cutting the deficit in half in the 4th minute, but his shot was saved by a diving Maeidua.

Mataks FC had Geoffrey Lema sent off in the 27th minute for a dangerous challenge, but Veitongo FC couldn’t capitalise in the two minutes the Solomon Islanders were reduced to three players.

Mataks FC scored their third which effectively gave them breathing space in the 32nd minute through Billy Afi. Kefu pulled a goal back for Veitongo FC with five minutes remaining, but his second goal of the tournament was too little too late for the Tongan team who exit the tournament after their fourth straight loss.

Mataks FC: 3 (Sammy LAUI 3’, Benjamin MANA 16’, Billy AFI 32’)
Veitongo FC: 1 (Christopher KEFU 35′)

 HT: 2-0