Oceania Football Confederation > News > 2016 OFC Champions League > Magenta progress as Tefana face wait

Magenta progress as Tefana face wait

The reward for the winner of each group is safe passage to the knockout stages, something New Caledonia’s Magenta have successfully secured with their three straight wins. Despite failing to top Group C, Tefana are still not out of the running though as their booking of second spot gives them a chance of sneaking through as the best-placed runner-up.
Those prospects are likely to be resolved via goal difference so the Tahitians will be delighted to have put seven unanswered strikes past a Kiwi FC outfit that has finished the tournament pointless.
Both sides were forced to field a weakened line-up due to suspensions, Kiwi having to make do without five players while Tefana were missing two. And there were some key names on that list with the hugely-experienced defensive pair of skipper Angelo Tchen and Nicolas Vallar out of action for Tefana and Kiwi in no position to take advantage of that without the services of key attackers Desmond Faauiaso and Thomas Mosquera, as well as captain Barry Lewis.
Despite being denied the services of nearly half a team, Kiwi kept Tefana out of the net for over half an hour before Alvin Tehau headed home a well-placed Tauhiti Keck free kick on 31 minutes. A further five different goal scorers were to get on the scoresheet as the leaders ran riot from that point on.
A 41st-minute Taumihau Tiatia effort preceded another strike from Tehau – who was captaining the side in the absence of Tchen – in the dying stages of the first half to give Tefana a 3-0 lead at the break and there was never going to be any way back into the contest for Kiwi.
The depleted Samoans battled bravely but could do little as another four goals found their way in, Temarii Tinorua making it four on 52 minutes before a trio of goals within eight minutes in the final third of the match.
Stanley Atani did well to stay onside to capitalise on a swift Tefana counter attack on the hour while Steevy Chong Hue and Tauatua Lucas notched in the 63rd and 68th minutes respectively to complete the rout.
“It was very disappointing but we have progressed since the last tournament,” Kiwi coach Phineas Young said.
“The biggest issue for us was the number of players who got red carded in the previous game, they were all first XI players. But even though we lost 7-0, I was still impressed with the performance at times,” he added.
“I’m pleased with the effort from the players and it is telling me that the five-year plan we have for the boys is working.”
Tefana coach Sebastian Labayen also felt the Kiwi squad could hold their heads high.
“What the players did today was more than satisfying for us but I’d like to congratulate our opponents for their valour and for how difficult they made it for us at times,” he said.
“We will have to wait and see in regards to other results as to whether we have done enough today.”
Magenta have no such worries after cruising to their 3-0 win over Nadi, whose thrilling 4-3 victory over Kiwi on Monday has proved to be their only success of the campaign.
The Fijians must have been wary of facing a Magenta side yet to drop a point and it looked like they had every reason to be when Pierrot Jelewed pounced on a slip up by Nadi goalkeeper Samuela Tamanisau to tap in from close range on 21 minutes.
That lead was doubled in some style six minutes before half-time, Bill Nicholls twisting and turning his way through the Nadi defence inside the box before unleashing a drive past Tamanisau.
The third and final goal on 57 minutes was another brilliant effort as Jeremy Dokunengo found the target in impressive fashion from the edge of the area to wrap up Magenta’s perfect three-from-three group record.
“Of course I am pleased because qualifying for the semi-finals was our first objective,” Magenta coach Alain Moizan said.
“We have conceded two goals so far in the tournament but we have scored nine. In this competition the difference can be made by the defence and right now we’re very happy.”
Nadi counterpart Kamal Swamy was satisfied with his players’ performance and felt they could’ve taken something from the game had it not been for several costly mistakes.
“I think we played well and it was only basic errors that allowed Magenta to score,” he said.
“I know the fighting spirit is there because we also played well against Kiwi. I think we have learned a lot and we will look to move forward from here.”
Tefana also aim to be doing so but would prefer for that to happen while they are still in the competition – a hope they will receive an update on when the OFC Champions League continues tomorrow.
Attention turns to Group B on Saturday at QBE Stadium as Suva FA take on AS Lossi from 1pm before Team Wellington and Hekari United both try to ensure they will progress to the semi-finals in meeting each other at 3.30pm.

Related posts