Oceania Football Confederation > News > News > HEKARI SOUTHS UNITED CLIMB PNG NSL TELIKOM CUP


PORT MORESBY – HEKARI United jumped into fourth spot in the PNGFA NSL Telikom Cup after beating competition leader Inspac Rapatona 1-0 in the main match of the NSL double header
played at Lloyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby on Saturday.

The header by Solomon Islands international striker Abraham Iniga from a good cross from wide midfielder Benjamin Mela in the 24th minute was sufficient to put United in the top four bracket as the
competition nears end of round one.


Iniga’s goal came from Hekari’s only opportunity in the opening half while Rapatona dominated the game but their striker could not find the net.

Rapatona midfield duo, the Diau cousins – Lawrence and Robert – did not click as expected because their counter-parts Selan Elizah and Andrew Maramapau had to step up into top gear to cover for
them when play broke down.


United had the opportunity to extend the lead through Kema Jack but were pulled back by skipper Russell Inai who then was cautioned by referee Peter Paliwa with a yellow card.


Rapatona’s defence of John Baulo, Clinton Caleb, Kialou Pouru and Inai were put to the test with constant threats by United’s other Solomon Island international Jack Samani, with the duo of
Jack and Iniga creating some attractive play in the last 15 minutes of the first-half but failing to create chances that would add to Hekari’s slender 1-0 lead.

In the second half, United stamped their authority in the midfield to make Rapatona work overtime.


Midfielders Eric Komeng, Mutta, Samani – and Benjamin Mela until replaced – shut down Diau brothers to take total control of the match.

United dominated the play until Rapatona introduced Pondrilang Poawai and the lofty figure of Ricky Mesak whose clear aerial domination completely shutdown any attacking threat United posed from

The introduction of Poawai made it harder as Komeng, Samani and reserve player and Papua New Guinea international Andrew Lepani found it hard to manoeuvre and create the scoring opportunities for
their strikers.

Referee Paliwa had to cautioned Tapas Posman and Iniga with yellow cards for unsportsman behaviour.

United kept the midfield lid tight to win the match.

Hekari United coach Jerry Allan said he was happy with the win against the competition leader.

“We have trained for it in the last couple of days and glad that we won.”

Allan paid generous tribute to Rapatona’s style of play but was satisfied his team deserved to win the match.

Rapatona coach Kisakiu Posman said United deserved the win as they closed down the Rapatona’s midfield.

“It was unfortunate that the two key players in the midfield Lawrence Diau and Robert Diau failed to fire. They had a day-off today,” Posman said of their loss.

In the other PNGFA NSL Telikom Cup match, Gelle Hills defeated visiting Welgris Highlanders 2-0.


Story courtesy PNGFA Media


For the latest news on the PNGFA NSL Telikom Cup please click here 


Papua New Guinea Football Association (PNGFA)


National Soccer League Telikom Cup


Standings 17.12.07






TL Morobe Kumuls



Inspac Rapatona



Gelle Hills



Hekari United



Besta Fighters



Madang Fox



Welgris Highlanders



Related posts